Friday, March 06, 2009

Solaris 10 10/08 (Update 6) Update Manager

Ever since I had upgraded my workstation to Solaris 10 10/08 (Update 6) on my Sun Blade 2000 I had noticed that my patch update connection had not worked.Initially it would give me some weird Cocoa error or sometimes an empty dialog box with just OK in it.


Toda finally I was determined to fix it so I can apply the latest patches automatically instead of downloading them manually. Anyway the trick is to read these two Sun Forum entries.



  1. Entry regarding the Solaris 10 patch  that was released in January 2009

  2. Entry regarding the correct Java version that is required by underlying smpatch. 


In short in my case I had to install patch 121118-15 (for SPARC)  and also remove references to JDK 1.6_10 in my /usr/jdk so that I can make my update manager work again on my desktop. Finally my useful update manager is now working on Solaris 10 10/08 to find and install recent patches to the system.



No comments: