Sun delivered a world record SpecJAppServer2004 Benchmark which used DB2 on Solaris as the database backend. The earlier benchmark used the UltraSPARC T1 based Sun Fire T2000 for the Application Server and x64 based Sun Fire X4200 for the database tier. In the recent world record benchmark, the application server is on Sun Blade 8000 series using Opteron based X8400 blades and the database is on UltraSPARC IV+ based Sun Fire E6900.
Why this benchmark is special for DB2 on Solaris customers?
- First DB2 on Solaris/SPARC published benchmarks in about 5 years
- First published benchmark from Sun using DB2 on UltraSPARC IV+ based server
With the release of this benchmark Sun has now multiple SpecJAppServer2004 benchmarks in the public domain using DB2 on Solaris (x64 and UltraSPARC) using multiple Applications Server (like BEA WebLogic, IBM WebSphere) on various Sun Fire and Sun Blade systems.
To List them again:
- BEA WebLogic Application Server and DB2 on Solaris x64 running in separate Zones in Sun Fire X4600
- IBM WebSphere Application Server on Sun Fire T2000 and IBM DB2 on Sun Fire X4200
- BEA WebLogic Application Server on Sun Blade 8000 Modular Series and DB2 on Sun Fire E6900
Solaris proves itself to be the best platform for (various) databases.
SPECjAppServer2004 Sun Blade 8000 (10 Sun Blade X8400, 80 cores, 40 chips) and 1 Sun Fire E6900 (48 cores, 24 chips) 6662.98 JOPS@Standard,
One Sun Fire X4600 (16 cores, 8 chips) 1000.86 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard,
One Sun Fire X4200 (4 cores, 2 chips) and one Sun Fire T2000 (8 cores, 1 chip) 616.22 SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard. SPECjAppServer2004 JOPS@Standard. SPEC, SPECjAppServer reg tm of Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation. Results from www.spec.org as of 9/13/06.